Creative Commons License

Monday, March 7, 2016

There is a corner in my mind where monsters live




There is a corner in my mind where monsters live
They're usually quiet
Maybe they play cards
Or Monopoly
They don't bother me much
Except when they do
And when they do
They roar
They growl
But the scariest monsters
Whisper
They whisper remember
Remember the bruises
Remember the screaming
Remember the blood
Remember the loneliness
Remember being afraid of everything
And everyone
There is a corner in my mind where monsters live
It's empty now
As they slither around
Bumping into my thoughts
Stealing my joy
Interrupting my life
Flexing their sinewy muscle
Punching their way through my dreams
Am I strong enough
I wonder
Am I stronger than the monsters
I didn't used to be
They always won
I would listen to their whispers
And dig into my own skin to make them stop
There is a corner in my mind where monsters live
They'll go back there
Eventually
But for now
We wrestle and fight and snarl and glare
I'll win
Because I have no choice

No comments:

Post a Comment